Thursday, August 18, 2011

BPA - I can't believe where I am finding it!!?

There definitely are good reasons to be concerned about your baby ingesting BPA (there are several interesting studies that have been published looking at the effects in animals). And I would definitely agree that to limit her exposure as much as possible is a good idea (BPA hasn't always been around my parents fed me from gl baby food jars, and gl feeding bottles). I wouldn't completely overreact though to the point of throwing out your OJ containers though, but it is a good idea to limit exposure when you can. The safest route to take is to use gl containers (which are inert). I myself even worry about the drop in bags because of the plastic softeners (I will admit I could be overly cautious here though). I would double check the literature but from what I remember reading BPA is most likely to leech out when the container is heated, or in contact with acids (like when it's used in the lining of cans of tomatoes for example) so I wouldn't worry about things like your plastic ware. I hope this helps. People will always say well people are overreacting and everything is toxic, but things are also quite different then they were 20 years ago and the cancer rates are rising even though we have improved preventative care so you have to wonder what we're exposing ourselves to.

No comments:

Post a Comment